Monday, January 20, 2014

Thing 3 Utilities

Wi-Fi Finder: I downloaded this app for the times I'd like to use my new iPad away from my school site to broaden my opportunities to access online resources and to do professional and personal tasks in the field, so to speak. The features I especially liked about this app were the map (which showed how to find hotspots), the filter (so that I wouldn't have to end up in a bar in order to use my iPad), and the save feature in the event I might want to refer back to the listings. I also liked that the app pointed me toward using the strongest Wi-Fi signal. When I tried it for the first time, it indicated that I should use my school's signal instead of those in the surrounding area, which made sense since the signal would be far and away stronger than others. Is this app critical to have, considering that one could just go under settings and find another network? I believe so because it allows a person to navigate toward a signal if none is in the current area. Relying on settings is flying blind and could prove unsuccessful.

RedLaser Barcode & QR Scanner: This free app could put a lot of money back in the consumer's pocket. It allows for price comparisons among stores, show specials, and indicates the availability of a product at a particular store, thus saving the consumer in both time and money. In another sense, it could save the shopper money by comparing store prices with online prices, which could lead to matching the lower price. Now I just wish I had a smart phone to carry around in stores rather than an iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment